Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sew it's your birthday!

This is part of trying to use what I have and so I made this for my cousin who has started sewing in the last year when her grandmother gave her a sewing box and some material.   Now I don't know about you, but when I think Tim Holtz I don't think bright, white, and cheery. Don't get me wrong. I love all the vintage, bygone era, distressed look of Tim Holtz and his fans. It just wasn't going to work for a sassy preteen with a love of zebra print and purple. So on went my thinking cap and this is what I created with what I had.



I cut 1/2 inch strips of paper and adhered them to thin cardstock, making certain to tape in the middle to keep from gumming up my sewing machine. I did this for a large 11 1/2 x 8 1/2 sheet of cardstock which I cut into two panels and then sewed the panels. I did both in case I had an issue with one.

I stamped the "happy birthday" sentiment on cardstock and hoped to machine stitch it as well. Haha! That was a hot mess... so I pierced the sentiment and hand stitched it. 



The dressform was stamped with Versamark and embossed with a metallic purple embossing powder.  As for the envelope I made it to match but the paper cracked so I used other stamps in the set and made faux washi tape for the edges of the envelope and a tab to hold the flap down with some printer paper.

Ingredients
Card size - 8.5 in x 5.5 in
Cardstock - The Paper Studio: classic collection, cardstock; Recollections 65lb and 110lb;
Stamps - Tim Holtz- Seamless Experience; Stampendous - Happy Messages;
Ink - Versamark; GKD Color Companion - white;
Accessories - Zing! Purple metallic embossing powder; Sewing Machine; Thread and needle; Dimensional tape; WRMK envelope punch board.

1 comment:

Lydia Fiedler said...

LOVE the stitching on here - you give me hope since sewing machines scare me - LOL.