Monday, February 11, 2013

Birthday Flowers

 
This is the card I have made for my mother in law's birthday.  I used the High Hopes Stamps Blog prompt of Flower.  The stamps are High Hopes stamps and the flower is colored in with Prismacolor pencils.  Oh should I have warned you first?  I read a blog challenge (forgotten which one) a few weeks ago to use something you hadn't in a while and I have to admit that since my love affair with Copics began my pencils have been neglected. 
 
  
I took inspiration for the card design from The Gentleman Crafter in this video. After choosing some patterned paper with flowers on it, I decided against a black background for my MIL.  I wouldn't mind it but I know a lot of people can be funny about using black on birthday cards for bases.  I really wanted to keep it organic and textural.  I like the "chintz" look to it.  Ikea would definitely chuck this card out!  So this whole creation is a bit outside my comfort zone but I like how it turned out.  I was going to leave the loops of paper flat like the video did but I decided I wanted more dimension and so I pushed the top layer forward - in a neat way I think the loops make a flower to host the flower image - *whistling like I totally planned that* ;)  I also had to improvise because I must be the only card crafter left on the planet that hasn't jumped on the washi tape wagon.  Good ol ribbon and twine to the rescue!
 
  
I lined the inside with the same paper I used for the loops on the front of the card, cut it the same and used the same corner punch.  A complete nod to the card in the video/ HERE
 
 
  
Ingredients
Card Size 8.5 in x 5.5 in
Cardstock - Recollections; K & Co; Neenah Classic Crest Smooth Solar White;
Stamps - High Hopes Stamps: Large Open Flower; "Have a Happy Birthday";
Ink - Archival Ink
Color - Prismacolor Pencils;
Accessories- Ribbon: American Crafts; Open Stock; Twine; Spellbinders Nestability Circle dies; Martha Stewart Corner punch
 
 


No comments: