Thursday, June 18, 2015

A salute to 2 Graduating Generals


Thank goodness I got a Silhouette Cameo.  Last year I made this card with various punches and dies and I really wanted to step it up this year.  


I first decided to make the white background card but knew I needed two and as one was for a girl and the other a boy, I decided on the second card having a gray base.

My vision was to make these pieced clean and simple cards.  Well, I wouldn't say I ended up creating my vision but rather elaborating on it.  The importing the image and cutting the pieces was straightforward enough for even a Silhouette novice like me.  What was complicated was trying to do the inlaid die cuts.  First I tried with wet glue. DISASTER, it was gluing itself where I didn't want it.

Then a change of plan, how about some peel and stick that I have been hoarding for at least 10 years, may as well try it, what do I have to lose!  Oh my goodness, that stuff is sticky.  It all started well but honestly when I was done there seemed to be gaps between the pieces and I just didn't know what to do with them.  So now what?


I cut my pieces again and whilst it was cutting I thought about all my adhesives and decided to try my YES! paste as that wouldn't grab the pieces and would allow some wiggle room.  Well that seemed to work for this card except I did manage to have a small amount of glue here and there.  I decided to stamp the graduation year on another panel and embossed glitter silver for the girl's card and clear for the boy's card.  Hmmm now what?  I really didn't want to give up on my idea.  So I grabbed the graduation caps I cut out the other day when I was doing test cuts and arranged them as if they had been thrown up in the air after the ceremony! Ta Da! oh and they just happen to cover any small spots of glue over reach.  


I took the inside of the card money holder up a notch and added some more of the caps!


The cards were finished off with a coordinating envelope with the year stamped in ombre school colors.  I really like how that looks!


What it took -
Card size - 8 1/2 in x 5 1/2 in
Cardstock - Recollections 110lb white; 65lb white, gray, blue;
Stamps - Kitchen Sink Stamps Playful Numbers, Kitchen Sink Stamps 3 Step Graduation; High Hopes Stamps Grad Cap;
Ink - Versamark; Memento Nautical Blue, Memento Gray Flannel;
Accessories - Zing! Glitter Embossing Powder Silver; Dimensional Adhesive; YES! paste.

No comments: