Saturday, September 13, 2014

New Home, New door, New step, New plaque, New plants...


So with just about everyone I know (slight exaggeration but only slight) moving this summer, at some point I came upon this idea that it would be cool to do a door/doorstep card and have light come through the glass of the door.  Although there are many beautiful door dies out there, I didn't really feel the need to invest in them.  I used what I have.  So with a combination of Spellbinders rectangles and long rectangles this is what I came up with after a bazillion passes through the die cutter.  Now, I know it doesn't look like the typical "American" door, but that is okay because it wasn't going to an American but rather to my MIL in England and they do have front doors like this (although I don't know what her current front door looks like).
  
They also have wall plaques with their house numbers on.  Again I don't know if she does but I thought she might appreciate the detail, though admittedly it is probably too small to read.  The vines around the door were a "save" I dropped some extra color on the front of the card after I was well into the construction process and had to camouflage the area to hide it.


I knew when I was laying out this card that I wanted a potted plant next to the door as my MIL loves to garden and has been a long time member of many gardening clubs.  I initially was going to stamp a Kitchen sink Hydrangea but the proportions were just too big for what I was trying to do.  I searched out my old, trusty See D's stamps and found just what I needed, well almost.  I found a beautiful bouquet in a vase.  Well, who sits a vase on their front step.  The same set had a flower pot, so I did a bit of masking and came up with this arrangement.

I played a bit with my watercolors and color mixing especially with the purple/yellow to get a brown middle that fits.

Now I just hopes she likes it!

Ingredients:
Card size - 8 1/2" x 5 1/2";
Cardstock - Recollections 65lb: Ivory, Red, Gray; Vellum;
Stamps - See D's: Floral, Whimsical Garden; JustRiteStampers - Special Occasions;
Ink - Archival ink, Memento - GrayFlannel, Cottage Ivy, New Sprout, Northern Pine, Pear Tart; Versamark, Delicata Golden Glitz
Color - Koi Watercolors;
Accessories - Spellbinders dies, UTEE

No comments: