Monday, March 30, 2015

21 today! Key to the door time!


Extreme closeup!

I know I normally put a pic of the whole care up first, but I know with feedly it tends to just show about the top 2/3rds and that would ignore that cute furry bear so I just had to make certain that the few people that do link to me on Feedly could see what fun I'm having with this cute stamp from High Hopes Stamps.



I made this for my eldest.  I thought it would probably be slightly inappropriate to go with the beer/drinking theme from the parental units, so I decided to focus on word play with our name, his degree program and his school colors.  At the moment he is on his 1st co-op from school so really getting some hands on learning, which makes it extra appropriate.


I really like how it turned out.  I think most of it is self explanatory with using the blueprint stamps from Tim Holtz to create the background that refers back to the bear holding a lock and key standing on the 21.  There is a double reference with the lock and key, our name and my son's English roots, as 21 is when traditionally associated with a getting a key for the door. 

This is an extract from The Encyclopedia of Superstitions by Richard Webster on line:  People turning twenty-one are often given cardboard keys to celebrate this milestone of maturity and independence.  Alec Kendal mentioned this in his popular song I'm twenty-one today, which was published in 1912.

I'm twenty-one today!
Twenty-one today!
I've got the key of the door!
Never been twenty-one before!
And fathers say I can do what I like!
So shout Hip-hip-hooray!
I'm a jolly good fellow,
Twenty-one today!

Ingredients
Card size - 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in;
Cardstock - Recollections: Kraft, Black, Chevron (Witches Dust Paper Pad);
Stamps - High Hopes Stamps: Lockhart Bear; Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz collection: Industrial Blueprint;
Ink - Memento: Tuxedo black; Gina K Designs: White;
Color - Copics;
Accessories - Dimensional tape; glossy accents. "21" hand drawn and cut.


3 comments:

Jane Z said...

Great card! Love your idea for 21 with the bear and lock! So cute!!! Oh, to be 21 again!!! Thanks for joining us at High Hopes and good luck in the Challenge!

Lacey Stephens said...

I love your card!! so cute. Thanks again for playing along with the High Hopes Challenges.
~Lacey

Carolina F. said...

Adorable Card!!! Thanks for joining our March Challenge at High Hopes.