Friday, June 29, 2012

A Knight Light

So I bought these glass blocks over a year ago, and I decided now was the time to do something with them. I have a special place in my heart for this young lady because I know how much it means to her mom that she is going to University.

I found a font I liked on my computer and printed her name on tissue paper and adhered it to the block with modge podge.  That is the "graining" you see through the paper from the brush strokes.  I cut/tore the edges of the tissue paper.  I let that dry for a bit and printed out her University's shield from a pdf I found online.  In an attempt to get get a different texture behind the tissue paper I stippled the modge podge onto the block and ended up with a hot mess.  I washed off the block and modge podge, dried the block and started again.  This time I went with what I knew and decided that the graining added an artistic flair.

After that cured overnight, I sealed the block with matte sealer on both sides.  The sealer basically frosted the glass that wasn't already covered by tissue paper.  I then put a ribbon around the block (that black & white polka dot one) and made a bow topper.

It was my first time making a bow let alone a bow with multiple ribbons.  There are a few layers I would have done slightly differently but in the end I like how it turned out.  I went with black and white because they are neutral and go with anything.

I placed the bow on top of the block and decided I wanted "more" or to be honest a more personal touch.  So I dug out my knight in shining armor stamp and colored it in School colors, then I had find a place to adhere it... nothing looked right so I made a topper to attach to the bow.  Of course, then I had to decorate the back of the topper.
That is when I went through my graduation stamp sets and found this wonderful phrase.  A bit of Versamark and white embossing powder later with some white gel pen highlights and I had my topper complete.

I found the flower and rhinestone when I bought the ribbon and thought it would add a girly flair to the block.  Can't be too girly now can we?

My biggest regret with this...I didn't use a hot glue gun to attach the bow.  TBH I wasn't supposed to see, but I saw my gift in two pieces. HEARTBREAK! I guess it could have been worse and been a shattered block on the floor.  Anyway I had used large 3D glue dots for the bow.  Learnt my lesson on that one. *Sigh* These things happen.
The night light was placed by using a hot knife to cut an access in the plastic bung. I then used a 3D glue dot to keep it upright and a couple of foam dimensionals to keep the bung in the block (seemed loose on this one for whatever reason).  I didn't want to make it too permanent for when the bulb needs replacing eventually.

The upside to this experience is that I have had a sly request for another from my eldest. I will have to get my thinking cap on!

Ingredients
Surface - Krafty Blok Large
Paper/Cardstock -Printed Tissue Paper, Neenah Classic Crest, The Paper Company
Adhesive - Modge Podge, 3D Zots, Foam Dimensionals
Stamps - High Hopes Stamps, Hero Arts Graduation
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark
Color - Copics
Miscellaneous - Ribbon, Flower, White Gel Pen, Matte Sealer, Night light.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Printing on Tissue paper - I print first on regular printer paper toward the bottom of the page (made sure the size was right for the block) and then attach the tissue paper to the printed printer paper with tape. HTH.

Anonymous said...

Love your work and creative ideas! I have a few of them tucked away for friends when certain events come up in the future. Can I ask how you printed the name on tissue paper? Did the paper actually go through the printer? I would think it might get crinkled and then such! TFS. Love your blog. Pam